Tire Recycling In Limestone County….

When, Where, And Why

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Americans wear out about 290 million tires every year. About 80% of tires are recycled. What about the other 20%? If you have old tires stored away somewhere, we’d like to encourage you to dispose of them properly.

Here is what NOT to do:
Don’t store them outdoors, toss them in the river, or dump them in the woods. Tires collect water and provide a great breeding ground for mosquitoes and nests for rodents. Don’t burn them! Burning tires creates thick smoke which contain dangerous pollutants such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, benzene, styrene, phenols, and butadiene. The oily substance created by burning tires contains lead and arsenic and can contaminate nearby water supplies or ground water. Don’t take them to the landfill. The vulcanizing process used on tires makes them nearly indestructible, leaving these tires to take up precious landfill space for decades to come.

Here is what you SHOULD do:
Thanks to a grant received by the Limestone County Commission from the Alabama Dept of Environmental Management, Limestone County residents can take old tires to any of the four district sheds from now through mid-September. Residents will be required to show a valid driver’s license or utility bill as proof of residency.

District 1 Shed: 22555 Elkton Road, Athens, from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
District 2 Shed: 24795 Pepper Road, Athens, from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
District 3 Shed: 14119 Ripley Road, Athens, from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
District 4 Shed: 22155 Section Line Road, Elkmont, from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

There are over 100 products currently made using recycled tires, including rubberized asphalt, low-maintenance decking material, indestructible mulch for your flower garden, and cushiony surfaces for running tracks, basketball courts, and outdoor playgrounds.

Don’t wait! Recycle your tires now, because time flies and September will be here before we know it!

(256) 233-8728